Insurance for a Russian visa
For the moment visa migration policy in Russia is subject to the Decree of the Russian Federation Government No. 335 dated June 9, 2003.
According to it, in order to enter the Russian Federation foreign nationals and stateless persons must bring a valid identity document acknowledged as such by the Russian Federation, and a visa unless other Russia’s entry procedure is set by an international treaty.
What we will tell about
Types of Russian visas for foreign nationals and visa-free entry for citizens of the CIS countries
Foreign nationals obtain entry visas outside Russia prior to entering the RF. A visa is issued in paper form and attached to an applicant's international passport if approved by the RF migration services.
Visa application documents can be submitted to the RF consulates overseas. A visa is granted pursuant to the invitations from the host party, which may be both an individual and a legal entity. Main types of Russian entry visas are:
- Tourist visa. It is granted to the foreign nationals wishing to visit Russia as tourists. An invitation must be given by an accredited travel company registered in Russia and included in the Unified Federal Register of Tour Operators. The visa can be single entry or double entry. It is usually valid up to 30 days.
- Business visa. It is granted to those having a business and/or commercial trip to Russia. The list of possible grounds for obtaining a business visa is quite extended. An invitation is issued by two government entities: the Federal Migration Service of Russia and the RF Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A business visa can be single entry, double entry, or multiple entry.
- Work visa. It is issued pursuant to an invitation from a company registered in Russia. Only the companies, possessing a valid permit for employment of foreign nationals or any other document permitting to employ citizens of visa countries, have the right to arrange an invitation. A work visa is valid from 90 days up to 3 years.
- Private visa. It is granted for a private visit on the grounds of an invitation from either an individual or a legal entity. A visa application shall be submitted to the RF Federal Migration Service by a Russian citizen - the RF resident.
- Student visa. An invitation shall be arranged by the educational institution, where a foreign national is going to study.
- Humanitarian visa. It is granted to a foreign national entering the country to carry out scientific, cultural, social and political, sports, religious, humanitarian and other missions.
Russian entry regulations for citizens of the CIS countries and former Soviet republics
Citizens of the CIS countries and some former Soviet republics are subject to special Russian entry regulations. Citizens of the CIS countries have the right of visa-free entry to Russia.
To cross the RF border they are only required to show their international passport when going through customs formalities. When crossing the RF border the citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Ukraine and Abkhazia have the right to show only their national passport. Visa-free entry to Russia is allowed for up to 90 days.
Police offices often require an insurance certificate from migrants with reference to paragraph 5 of article 27 of the federal law on the procedure for entering and leaving the Russian Federation, which requires an insurance certificate from foreign nationals entering the Russian Federation.
If one needs to stay in Russia for a longer time, he/she must obtain one of the permitting documents (residence permit, stay permit, visa, etc.).
Regulations on applying for a Russian visa
The set of documents, required to apply for a Russian visa, shall be submitted to one of the RF consulates overseas. The following documents must be submitted to get a work, tourist, private, business, student, or humanitarian visa:
- Standard visa application form with a photo, completed by the applicant.
- Valid health insurance certificate in accordance with the Regulations on health insurance of foreign nationals staying temporarily in the Russian Federation.
- Identity document valid within Russia.
- HIV-negative Test Certificate - if applying for a visa for a long period (over 90 days).
- Invitation of the host party.
Depending on the type of a visa applied for, some additional documents shall be submitted to confirm a legitimate basis to enter Russia: proof of accommodation within the RF, INN, employment agreement, confirmation of enrolment, etc.
A Russian entry visa shall be issued within 20 days from the date of receipt of the full set of documents. Application for a visa extension shall be submitted at least 20 business days before the date of expiry of the current visa.
Having received one of the above mentioned visas and entered the RF territory, foreign nationals must get registered at the place of their stay with a territorial body of the Federal Migration Service of Russia.
Requirements to an insurance certificate for a Russian visa for citizens of the non-CIS countries, Turkmenistan and Georgia
Health insurance certificate is obligatory to obtain a Russian entry visa. It shall be included in the set of documents for a Russian visa application. Border guard offices also have the right to demand an insurance certificate from a foreign national crossing the border.
When effecting the insurance for a Russian visa, an applicant has the right to choose an insurance company and tariff in his/her sole discretion. There are some requirements, which an insurance certificate must comply with.
Essential requirements to insurance certificates for foreign nationals in Russia are set in the Decree of the Russian Federation Government No. 1488 "On health insurance of foreign nationals staying temporarily in the Russian Federation...".
How to choose insurance for a visa?
To obtain a Russian visa an applicant shall bring a standard insurance certificate meeting the minimum requirements of the consulates. Excess risk coverage shall be provided by a certificate pursuant to the purpose of travel and type of visa.
Cost of insurance for a Russian visa
Cost of insurance for a Russian visa varies from 0.3 to 1.5 EUR per day and depends on the following:
- Insurance company;
- Age of the insured person (a multiplying coefficient is applied for children under the age of 2 and adults over the age of 65);
- Amount of the insurance coverage (maximum amount to the extent of which an applicant will be given medical aid);
- Sports activities (a multiplying coefficient is applied);
- Additional options included (luggage insurance, civil liability, accident insurance, trip cancellation insurance).
Insurance for a Russian visa extension
If a foreign national needs to extend the visa, he/she must appear in person in a territorial body of the Federal Migration Service of Russia either at the place of his/her migration registration or at the place of stay, and bring a set of the required documents (for the detailed information see the official website (rus.) of the Federal Migration Service of Russia).
Non-availability of a health insurance certificate constitutes a violation of the applicable law and may be the reason for denial of the visa extension and/or for demand from the Russian authorities to leave the country.
How to buy insurance for a Russian visa online?
The procedure for purchasing of insurance involves several stages and takes about 10 minutes:
- Giving general information about the trip (country to be visited, dates of the trip, number of the Insured persons).
- Choosing an insurance program and additional risks (amount of the insurance coverage, currency of the insurance coverage, sports activity, other additional options).
- Entering the details concerning the Insured persons and Insuring party (The Insuring party is someone who pays for the insurance certificate).
Payment. The following payment methods are available:
- by bank card;
- by means of the payment services Yandex.Money, WebMoney, Qiwi, Alfa-Click;
- in cash at the insurance company office or at the offices of partner companies (restricted).
- Obtaining of an insurance certificate. After the registration with the insurance company had been completed and the insurance certificate had been paid for, a ready insurance form is sent in PDF format to the insuring party's e-mail. Before applying for a Russian entry visa, an applicant should print out the certificate and add it to the set of the required documents.
Preferred insurance companies for submission of documents to the Russian consulate
Russian consulates and visa application centers accept insurance certificates issued by the following companies:
Pomoshch - Insurance Society
|Mondial Assistance Group||Zetta|
What is an electronic insurance certificate
A health insurance certificate meeting the requirements for a Russian visa obtaining can be purchased totally unassisted through the Internet online service.
The online purchased and printed out insurance certificate is an official document and it is accepted by all the Visa Application Centers outside the Russian Federation.